Assistant General Counsel, Patents at Water Pik, Inc.
A collective energy and ambition. A place where you can make a real difference.
We’re a company that genuinely cares about our people, our products, our consumers and the environment.
Our unique, informal culture champions courage, determination and collaboration. Knowing we have an open and supportive team means each of us has the freedom to take responsibility and ownership. We have a shared passion to work hard, innovate and push boundaries.
United by the belief that when we strive for growth, anything is possible. While we might not be the largest company in our industry, we believe we can have the biggest impact because: Together We Have the Power to Win.
The role includes the day-to-day responsibility for understanding the WP legal needs and status of all WP legal matters and bringing in subject matter experts from the broader legal team or facilitating integration between them and business clients as necessary. The role also includes serving as WP’s lead patent attorney having day to day responsibility for patent-related matters including managing the WP patent portfolio, preparation, prosecution, counseling, clearance, due diligence, and enforcement, with a particular emphasis on infringing knockoff products and online enforcement.
This role is located at WP’s headquarters in Fort Collins, Colorado and is a member of the WP executive leadership team and is expected to work closely with the broader legal team to accomplish the overall objectives of the legal department. The person in this role also develops and manages the WP legal budget.
Role Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Forge a deep partnership with WP executive leadership and legal colleagues providing service to WP and exhibit a strong cross functional mindset.
- Understand the WP legal needs and status of all WP legal matters bringing in subject matter experts from the broader legal team as necessary in support of accountability of all WP legal matters.
- Evaluate, protect, and prosecute new product inventions patent applications and develop internal processes for the same.
- Review and clear new and modified products from a patent infringement perspective, and issue written opinions as needed.
- Prepare, negotiate, and review R&D agreements.
- Train R&D and other employees in patent-related matters, and engage with other law department colleagues on additional legal training as may be needed or desired.
- Work closely and support the broader legal team on WP investigations and litigations, and take the lead on any specific WP investigations or litigations on a case by case basis as may be directed by the General Counsel.
- Manage outside counsel and align with WP executive leadership and Chief IP Counsel to develop and manage an external budget for outside counsel.
- Manage internal contract paralegal(s).
- Timely communication of legal risks to the business and within the law department.
Skills and Competencies
- Deep experience with drafting and prosecuting patent applications and conducting freedom to operate and infringement assessments. Significant experience with design patents is required.
- Ability to understand the broad set of legal needs facing the business and ensure the legal subject matter experts are effectively engaged
- Ability to understand the technical aspects of WP’s products.
- Ability to manage legal issues in a cost effective and practical manner.
- Ability to work and interact with management and others at all levels.
- Strong leadership and relationship building skills that lead to successful development, implementation, and improvement of legal processes across functions/organizations.
- Ability to proactively establish credibility and trust as an attorney, trusted advisor, change agent, and business partner with strong cross functional perspective.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Strong negotiation skills and experience.
- Ability to work independently, as part of the on-site team, and as part of a broader, off-site legal team.
Education and Experience
- BS or higher in mechanical engineering with strong experience in electrical engineering and JD Degree from an accredited institution.
- 7+ years of law firm and/or in-house experience, with at least 4 years of law firm patent experience preferred. Preference for candidates with consumer products experience.
- Experience with managing global patent portfolios, patent preparation and prosecution, patent search and clearance, and communicating legal risk to client leadership.
- Experience leading investigations and negotiations to resolve legal disputes.
- Experience managing a team preferred.
- Member of at least one state bar and admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Code of Conduct
- Sexual Harassment Avoidance
Salary and Benefits
Water Pik, Inc., a partner company of Church & Dwight Company, Inc., offers an extensive Total Reward package for this position, including:
Estimated pay range: $145,000 - $175,000 Annual Salary.
Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance / Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending / Health Savings Account / Commuter Reimbursement Account
Vacation / Holiday / Sick Time / Pandemic Leave / Short and Long Term Disability / Life & AD&D / Spouse/Child Optional Life / Supplemental Life & AD&D / Family and Medical Leave / Bereavement
Adoption Assistance / Tuition Reimbursement / Employee Assistance Program / Identity Theft Protection / Critical Illness Insurance
Savings and Profit Sharing Plan / 401(k) Match / Employee Stock Purchase Plan
This information is provided in compliance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act and is the company's good faith and reasonable estimate of the compensation range and benefits offered for this position. The compensation offered to the successful applicant may vary based on factors including experience, skills, education, location, and other job-related reasons.
Church & Dwight is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
For more information on our company, our brands and our culture visit us at http://www.churchdwight.com/
With corporate offices and major plants across the country, we’re building consumer products and connecting with global offices from the place where it all began.Explore this location
DIVERSITY At Church & Dwight
Church & Dwight strives to create an environment where everyone feels free to bring their authentic self to work every day.
We win when we respect every employee for who they are – regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other differences. We believe that our employees’ contributions are richer because of their diversity. We aim to be a diverse, inclusive and equitable company and are determined to build a culture where people have the power to win together.
CULTURE At Church & Dwight
We care - about our people, our products, our consumers and our environment. To honor these priorities, we’ve built our culture around the tenants of courage, determination and team spirit. We’re united by our small company feel and inspired by opportunities to make our mark.Learn More
Equal Employment Opportunity for the Disabled At Church & Dwight
As an equal opportunity employer, Church & Dwight is committed to providing access and opportunities to individuals with disabilities. Applicants who require accommodation for accessibility to the online application system, the interview process, completing any pre-employment testing, or any other portion of application process, as a result of impairment from a medical or mental health condition, they may contact 877-809-8449 or email their resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
To review Church & Dwight’s Equal Opportunities Employer Policy, click link below.Learn More