Open Innovation Manager - Supplier and Co-Manufacturing
A collective energy and ambition. A place where you can make a real difference.
We’re a company that genuinely cares about our people, our products, our consumers and the environment.
Our unique, informal culture champions courage, determination and collaboration. Knowing we have an open and supportive team means each of us has the freedom to take responsibility and ownership. We have a shared passion to work hard, innovate and push boundaries.
United by the belief that when we strive for growth, anything is possible. While we might not be the largest company in our industry, we believe we can have the biggest impact because: Together We Have the Power to Win.
This Open Innovation (OI) Manager will serve as a senior Technology Scout that will create strategies for Suppliers and Co-Manufacturers (CoMans) that enable finding, evaluating and brokering internally new technologies and/or capabilities of interest to Church & Dwight. The role will work collaboratively with internal R&D stakeholders to know their innovation needs and network externally to be aware of available technologies and/or capabilities of potential interest. This individual will look across all SBU needs and find technology platforms by managing Chemical Supplier and CoMan interactions and identifying/vetting sustaining and transformative innovations. The individual will also oversee and manage the unsolicited ideas through the OI Portal and the OI Knowledge Database and implement changes as needed to enhance competitiveness and improve collaboration across all categories. This Leader must be a scientific/supply chain/operations generalist with good business acumen, a strong collaborator and networker, be comfortable with ambiguity, highly inquisitive and eager to identify new innovations of high value for the company.
Role Accountabilities and Responsibilities (Describe the 5-7 major accountabilities)
- Create and deploy a strategy for managing Chemical Supplier and CoMan interactions and identifying/vetting sustaining and transformative innovations
- Build strong relationships with internal stakeholders and proactively seek to understand their innovation needs and translate these into scoutable topics
- Scout for technologies and/or capabilities that align with stakeholder innovation needs and provide initial technical and commercial due diligence including viability of the potential partner.
- Identify and screen Chemical Supplier and CoMan innovations for needed SBU applications
- Manage the OI Portal and the OI Knowledge Database across all categories to advance the capabilities of the function.
- Influence internal stakeholders and successfully broker recommended technologies and/or capabilities so they progress forward into the R&D innovation pipeline
- Proactively monitor commercial, scientific and intellectual property information sources to remain aware of technologies and/or capabilities which may be of relevance
- Build and manage a broad outreach program into innovation ecosystems to be successful when scouting for new technologies and/or capabilities of interest
- Lead scouting and partnering interactions at key forums/conferences
- Assist with management of the Open Innovation Portal
Education and Experience
- BSc/MSc from an accredited institution in Chemical/Chemical Engineering with at least 10+ years related industrial experience in R&D/Supply Chain/Strategy/Operations or PhD from an accredited university with at least 7+ years of experience in in R&D/Supply Chain/Strategy/Operations.
- At least 7 years demonstrated experience as an Open Innovation Technology Scout finding and brokering innovations to internal stakeholders within a CPG industry environment.
Skills and Competencies
- Strategic thinker that can convert strategy into action across all SBUs
- Highly inquisitive with strong scientific background to converse effectively with external innovators and internal stakeholders, solid business acumen to quickly identify high value innovation opportunities.
- Strong internal networker to understand stakeholder innovation needs and external networker to build ecosystems, excellent relationship builder to create partner of choice mindset with potential external partners, collaborator with internal cross functional teams to move innovation opportunities forward, and influencer of internal stakeholders without direct authority and potential external partners to drive initiatives to the desired end state
- Visionary thinker; can see future possibilities when scouting for new innovations, strategic; when planning new approaches and long-term initiatives, tactical; to achieve short term wins.
- Demonstrated abilities to; scout and find new technologies and/or capabilities aligned to internal stakeholder innovation needs, objectively assess to select the best to progress, successfully broker these to internal stakeholders.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, comfortable and capable of communicating with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Self-driven, operates with high degree of urgency.
- Strong portfolio and project management skills
- Creates process/structure to navigate ambiguous environments.
Church & Dwight is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
For more information on our company, our brands and our culture visit us at http://www.churchdwight.com/
With corporate offices and major plants across the country, we’re building consumer products and connecting with global offices from the place where it all began.Explore this location
DIVERSITY At Church & Dwight
Church & Dwight strives to create an environment where everyone feels free to bring their authentic self to work every day.
We win when we respect every employee for who they are – regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other differences. We believe that our employees’ contributions are richer because of their diversity. We aim to be a diverse, inclusive and equitable company and are determined to build a culture where people have the power to win together.
CULTURE At Church & Dwight
We care - about our people, our products, our consumers and our environment. To honor these priorities, we’ve built our culture around the tenants of courage, determination and team spirit. We’re united by our small company feel and inspired by opportunities to make our mark.Learn More
Equal Employment Opportunity for the Disabled At Church & Dwight
As an equal opportunity employer, Church & Dwight is committed to providing access and opportunities to individuals with disabilities. Applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact 877-809-8449 or email their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please note that these options are available only to those needing an accommodation because of a medical condition or disability. All email submissions should include “Accommodation needed” in the subject line as well as information related to the specific position you are interested in (requisition number, job title, location, etc.). Church & Dwight will not respond to inquiries made to firstname.lastname@example.org or 877-809-8449 that are not related to accessibility of the online application system by persons with medical conditions or disabilities. To review Church & Dwight’s Equal Opportunities Employer Policy, click link below.Learn More