SPD EHS/Continuous Improvement
A collective energy and ambition. A place where you can make a real difference.
We’re a company that genuinely cares about our people, our products, our consumers and the environment.
Our unique, informal culture champions courage, determination and collaboration. Knowing we have an open and supportive team means each of us has the freedom to take responsibility and ownership. We have a shared passion to work hard, innovate and push boundaries.
United by the belief that when we strive for growth, anything is possible. While we might not be the largest company in our industry, we believe we can have the biggest impact because: Together We Have the Power to Win.
General Summary: This position is responsible for leading the site Lean Manufacturing, environmental, health, safety and security initiatives under the direction of the Plant Manager and the Corporate ESO Department. The EHS Manager/CI Manager will plan, organize and direct the safety at the facility to meet established plant objectives and key performance indicators (KPI’s). This position has responsibility for overall Continuous Improvement in manufacturing programs, including root cause and CAPA (Corrective and Preventative Action) This role will provide leadership and guidance to all employees and direct reports, Safety Generalists, at the facilities. The EHS/CI Manager is responsible for planning, establishing, implementing and maintaining a variety of environmental, safety, and security programs to ensure the highest possible degree of safety and regulatory compliance for all employees in a large, multi-business unit manufacturing and distribution environment. This position is critical for establishing and maintaining the area as a center for operational excellence.
- Responsible at all times for promoting a culture of environmental and safety excellence and awareness within the facilities. Support and enforce all plant environmental, safety and security policies and procedures in a fair and consistent manner.
- Review process value stream mapping and recommend materials, machines, methods and performance metrics (measurements) to ensure an effective operation.
- Maintain CI project hopper and champion Kaizen opportunities for step change improvements to safety, quality, deliver and cost systems.
- Manages EHS/CI Department staff including environmental, safety, and Safety Generalists at multiple sites.
- Create a visual workplace leveraging progressive 5S and visual controls. Manage plant wide KPI’s, integrating data in decision making and prioritization of projects.
- Lead plant compliance initiatives and possess a thorough understanding of all environmental and safety regulations, as well as Company policies and requirements. Generate reports and trend graphs.
- Develop controls for identified hazards. Coordinate the implementation of controls from results of hazard analysis. Measure and evaluate the effectiveness of the hazard control system, policies, and procedures and recommend changes that reflect improved opportunities to eliminate workplace accidents and injuries.
- Incorporate principles of lean manufacturing such as 5S and TPM elements.
- Works in conjunction with site management and Safety Generalists (direct reports) as a primary contact for safety and environmental issues in the event of a site emergency involving safety or environmental issues.
- Review all environmental, safety reports, maintain key metrics to identify trends and allocate resources appropriately to mitigate areas of highest risk.
- Works with department supervision to conduct accident investigations in a thorough and timely manner.
- Conducts frequent plant safety inspections in conjunction with Safety Generalists to observe workers for safe and unsafe behaviors.
- Lead all new equipment / lines installations and other engineering projects to ensure items are installed to applicable environmental and safety standards.
- Monitor site performance against established environmental, safety policies and procedures. Use root cause analysis to develop action plans to address deficiencies, and drive actions to completion.
- Implement and track operational key performance indicators (KPI) such as safety, downtime production throughput, batch and solid waste with defined reason codes.
- Active participation in all internal and external environmental and safety audits, champion all activities to address audit findings in a timely manner.
- Develop, facilitate and track compliance with all training requirements for environmental, safety and security topics.
- Maybe required to support the operation outside of assigned shift hour or on weekends as needed.
- Conduct and coordinate on-site equipment, work area and behavioral inspections to audit both physical conditions and safe work practices.
- Responsible for ensuring that all environmental operations such as wastewater treatment, waste disposal and air emissions are properly permitted and in compliance.
- Ability to travel to other Church & Dwight sites required 30% in this role.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Lean manufacturing and continuous improvement experience and/or training required. Lean Six Sigma experience a plus.
- Must have knowledge or training in occupational health and safety and compliance with applicable federal and state regulations and standards.
- Skilled in the standards, concepts, best practices, and procedures within the health and safety fields.
- Demonstrated knowledge of delivering hands-on health and safety training, building positive relationships at all levels within the organization.
- Ability to develop, implement, and coordinate comprehensive health and safety accident-prevention programs.
- Excellent interpersonal and skills – ability to build positive relationships at all levels of the organization
- Excellent communications skills – ability to communicate clearly and concisely in multiple media – verbal, written, etc.
- Excellent organizational/time management skills.
- Ability to lead and manage direct reports from multiple sites.
- Ability to prioritize work assignments in a fast-paced work environment.
- Strong computer skills (SAP and MS Office Suite).
- Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality at all times and in all situations.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in Engineering, Industrial Hygiene or a related field.
- 5-7 years environmental safety management and supervisory experience in a fast-paced manufacturing and distribution environment required.
Church & Dwight is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
For more information on our company, our brands and our culture visit us at http://www.churchdwight.com/
With corporate offices and major plants across the country, we’re building consumer products and connecting with global offices from the place where it all began.Explore this location
DIVERSITY At Church & Dwight
Church & Dwight strives to create an environment where everyone feels free to bring their authentic self to work every day.
We win when we respect every employee for who they are – regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other differences. We believe that our employees’ contributions are richer because of their diversity. We aim to be a diverse, inclusive and equitable company and are determined to build a culture where people have the power to win together.
CULTURE At Church & Dwight
We care - about our people, our products, our consumers and our environment. To honor these priorities, we’ve built our culture around the tenants of courage, determination and team spirit. We’re united by our small company feel and inspired by opportunities to make our mark.Learn More
Equal Employment Opportunity for the Disabled At Church & Dwight
As an equal opportunity employer, Church & Dwight is committed to providing access and opportunities to individuals with disabilities. Applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact 877-809-8449 or email their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please note that these options are available only to those needing an accommodation because of a medical condition or disability. All email submissions should include “Accommodation needed” in the subject line as well as information related to the specific position you are interested in (requisition number, job title, location, etc.). Church & Dwight will not respond to inquiries made to firstname.lastname@example.org or 877-809-8449 that are not related to accessibility of the online application system by persons with medical conditions or disabilities. To review Church & Dwight’s Equal Opportunities Employer Policy, click link below.Learn More