Senior Paralegal, Litigation
A collective energy and ambition. A place where you can make a real difference.
We’re a company that genuinely cares about our people, our products, our consumers and the environment.
Our unique, informal culture champions courage, determination and collaboration. Knowing we have an open and supportive team means each of us has the freedom to take responsibility and ownership. We have a shared passion to work hard, innovate and push boundaries.
United by the belief that when we strive for growth, anything is possible. While we might not be the largest company in our industry, we believe we can have the biggest impact because: Together We Have the Power to Win.
This job provides paralegal support to the Litigation Group. The person in this Role is expected to work closely with the Litigation Team (and all others working on the company’s litigation or claims matters) to accomplish the company’s objectives with respect to its litigation and claims. As requested from time to time, the person in this Role may be called upon to assume other duties necessary for the Law Department to meet its overall objectives. This position reports to the Associate General Counsel for Litigation.
Role Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Support/assist Litigation Attorney(s) and other attorneys working on litigation matters, as requested, in performance of all of their various duties.
- Serve as a member of the Litigation Team—cooperating with and assisting all to accomplish team objectives.
- Discovery and Investigations: In coordination with counsel, track down information relevant to claims and litigation—searching records and coordinating with business clients to identify relevant people, products, information and documents (including electronic documents via e-discovery software) for in-house and outside counsel. Schedule in-house witness interviews with counsel where needed. Organize information/documents and create memoranda, summaries and reports for attorneys as requested. Review pleadings and discovery responses for accuracy, and coordinate discovery verifications by company personnel.
- Engage with in-house and outside counsel on pending or anticipated litigation/claims matters, timely fulfilling any of their requests.
- Provide assistance during all phases of the pleadings, discovery and litigation process, from inception up through settlement and payment, as needed.
- Maintain the Litigation Database—both its information and its reports—to ensure its information is always accurate and current.
- Monitor Service of Process—ensuring all new matters are timely entered into the Litigation Database and routed to relevant attorneys.
- In coordination with in-house and outside counsel, timely issue Legal Holds to relevant personnel (utilizing the electronic Legal Hold software system).
- Track litigation matters and organize/maintain litigation files.
- Timely create and maintain all needed litigation and claims lists and any needed periodic and ad hoc reports and/or charts relating to litigation or claims—ensuring all are current. Draft summaries as requested. Provide reports/information to the Insurance Department as requested.
- Monitor e-billing for litigation and claims, and assist with Litigation Group’s budgeting/forecasting and related financial reporting, as requested.
- Consumer pre-suit claims administration: Advise Consumer Relations regarding consumer claims for legal pre-suit consumer claims, conduct initial claim assessments, review and coordinate related customer indemnification requests, investigate claim merits and pursue related documentation and evidence, draft related correspondence, recommend and negotiate settlements and coordinate payments—in coordination with in-house and outside counsel as needed.
- Subpoena administration: Track subpoenas and due dates, timely locate responsive personnel and documents, and draft correspondence and responses for attorney review.
- Assist Law Department paralegals and attorneys cross-functionally as requested.
- Support any needs of the Law Department generally, as requested.
Education and Experience
- College Degree or paralegal certificate required.
- Minimum of 5 years of litigation paralegal experience required—combination of in-house litigation paralegal experience and law firm litigation paralegal experience strongly preferred.
- Fully knowledgeable in litigation matter management and e-billing software, and e-discovery and legal hold software. Familiarity with Thompson Reuters Legal Tracker (Serengeti) software, Exterro legal hold/e-discovery software, and NetDocs document management software a plus.
- Extensive experience with litigation discovery requirements and responses—including locating relevant personnel and documents and organizing discovery responses to interrogatories, requests for production, subpoenas, investigations, etc.
- Customer claims administration experience highly preferred.
Skills and Competencies
- Good technical skills, including the ability to learn new software and applications.
- Superior oral and written communication skills, and fully proficient with Microsoft Office applications—including Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent analytical abilities—able to conduct investigations, digest conclusions, and prepare related reports, memoranda, summaries, discovery responses, claims correspondence, etc.
- Self-motivated, highly organized, detail-oriented, efficient and resourceful individual. Ability to work independently where needed and excellent judgment to identify issues requiring escalation to attorneys.
- Ability to prioritize and manage workload, multiple client demands, and shifting priorities within a fast- paced, dynamic environment under tight deadlines, and to embrace changing needs and requirements.
- Strong work ethic and sense of professionalism and discretion, demonstrating accountability, integrity, good judgment, and respect for confidentiality. Client focus required.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work as a member of the team, able to engage effectively and to collaborate with litigation group members, all law department personnel, all levels of employees and management across the organization, and outside counsel and law firm personnel.
COVID VACCINE REQUIREMENT*: To support the health and safety of our team members, successful candidates for employment in this role must (1) be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and to have submitted proof of vaccination status, or (2) request and receive an approved accommodation based on medical circumstances or sincerely held religious beliefs, practices or observances.
*Only applicable for Corporate positions based in Princeton, NJ and Ewing, NJ
Church & Dwight is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
For more information on our company, our brands and our culture visit us at http://www.churchdwight.com/
With corporate offices and major plants across the country, we’re building consumer products and connecting with global offices from the place where it all began.Explore this location
DIVERSITY At Church & Dwight
Church & Dwight strives to create an environment where everyone feels free to bring their authentic self to work every day.
We win when we respect every employee for who they are – regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other differences. We believe that our employees’ contributions are richer because of their diversity. We aim to be a diverse, inclusive and equitable company and are determined to build a culture where people have the power to win together.
CULTURE At Church & Dwight
We care - about our people, our products, our consumers and our environment. To honor these priorities, we’ve built our culture around the tenants of courage, determination and team spirit. We’re united by our small company feel and inspired by opportunities to make our mark.Learn More
Equal Employment Opportunity for the Disabled At Church & Dwight
As an equal opportunity employer, Church & Dwight is committed to providing access and opportunities to individuals with disabilities. Applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact 877-809-8449 or email their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please note that these options are available only to those needing an accommodation because of a medical condition or disability. All email submissions should include “Accommodation needed” in the subject line as well as information related to the specific position you are interested in (requisition number, job title, location, etc.). Church & Dwight will not respond to inquiries made to firstname.lastname@example.org or 877-809-8449 that are not related to accessibility of the online application system by persons with medical conditions or disabilities. To review Church & Dwight’s Equal Opportunities Employer Policy, click link below.Learn More