Microbiologist - Day Shift - Vancouver, WA
A collective energy and ambition. A place where you can make a real difference.
We’re a company that genuinely cares about our people, our products, our consumers and the environment.
Our unique, informal culture champions courage, determination and collaboration. Knowing we have an open and supportive team means each of us has the freedom to take responsibility and ownership. We have a shared passion to work hard, innovate and push boundaries.
United by the belief that when we strive for growth, anything is possible. While we might not be the largest company in our industry, we believe we can have the biggest impact because: Together We Have the Power to Win.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Microbiologist at our Vancouver, Washington manufacturing and distribution plant!
Summary: Under general supervision, performs specialized and routine microbiological laboratory testing.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform routine testing of samples for microbial analysis using aseptic technique.
- Sample preparation
- Media preparation
- Solution preparation
- Plate reading
- Growth and sterility testing
- Gram staining and confirmation testing
- Rapid Microbiology testing
- Result entry into LIMS
- Assure that samples designated for microbial analyses are run and reported in a timely, accurate manner according to documented methods, policies and SOPs. Work with the Lead Microbiologist and Shift Supervisor to determine priority of samples.
- Perform environmental sampling and testing in specified areas.
- Perform allergen testing by ELISA.
- Set up, adjust, operate, calibrate and maintain laboratory equipment and instruments.
- Perform secondary review of data.
- Sterilize and clean laboratory equipment, glassware and work areas.
- Properly handle and dispose of biohazard waste.
- Use Good Laboratory Practices and Good Documentation Practices in all laboratory activities
- Revise methods, policies and forms as needed.
- Generate weekly, monthly and quarterly reports, summarizing large amounts of data using Excel.
- Log chemicals and standards into Chemical Tracker
- Shared responsibility for inventory and restocking of supplies for general laboratory needs.
- Seek opportunities to reduce routine laboratory costs by increased efficiency (higher throughput, decreased cost of supplies).
- Execute projects as assigned to meet changing laboratory needs and requirements.
- Shared responsibility for general laboratory organization and cleanliness.
- Communication of relevant work details to Lab Supervisor and coworkers.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Bachelor’s degree or higher level of education in microbiology, biology or related field.
At least one year of experience working in a microbiology laboratory. Experience in a food or dietary supplement micro lab is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Good knowledge of laboratory terminology, equipment, materials and procedures, and the ability to follow microbiology methods.
- Ability to perform standardized tests according to prescribed procedures and calculating and recording test results.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Knowledge of general laboratory housekeeping and aseptic technique.
- Experience with writing reports.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Work is normally performed in a typical laboratory work environment, usually wearing lab coat, safety glasses and gloves for most procedures.
- Work with hazardous chemicals
- Must be able to lift and carry objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to maintain attention to detail despite occasional interruptions and the presence of co-workers in close proximity.
- Must be comfortable in a light industrial environment, including some exposure to non-toxic dust (powdered vitamins).
Church & Dwight is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
For more information on our company, our brands and our culture visit us at http://www.churchdwight.com/
With corporate offices and major plants across the country, we’re building consumer products and connecting with global offices from the place where it all began.Explore this location
DIVERSITY At Church & Dwight
Church & Dwight strives to create an environment where everyone feels free to bring their authentic self to work every day.
We win when we respect every employee for who they are – regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other differences. We believe that our employees’ contributions are richer because of their diversity. We aim to be a diverse, inclusive and equitable company and are determined to build a culture where people have the power to win together.
CULTURE At Church & Dwight
We care - about our people, our products, our consumers and our environment. To honor these priorities, we’ve built our culture around the tenants of courage, determination and team spirit. We’re united by our small company feel and inspired by opportunities to make our mark.Learn More
Equal Employment Opportunity for the Disabled At Church & Dwight
As an equal opportunity employer, Church & Dwight is committed to providing access and opportunities to individuals with disabilities. Applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact 877-809-8449 or email their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that these options are available only to those needing an accommodation because of a medical condition or disability. All email submissions should include “Accommodation needed” in the subject line as well as information related to the specific position you are interested in (requisition number, job title, location, etc.). Church & Dwight will not respond to inquiries made to email@example.com or 877-809-8449 that are not related to accessibility of the online application system by persons with medical conditions or disabilities. To review Church & Dwight’s Equal Opportunities Employer Policy, click link below.Learn More