Director, Design & Consumer Experience
A collective energy and ambition. A place where you can make a real difference.
We’re a company that genuinely cares about our people, our products, our consumers and the environment.
Our unique, informal culture champions courage, determination and collaboration. Knowing we have an open and supportive team means each of us has the freedom to take responsibility and ownership. We have a shared passion to work hard, innovate and push boundaries.
United by the belief that when we strive for growth, anything is possible. While we might not be the largest company in our industry, we believe we can have the biggest impact because: Together We Have the Power to Win.
- Serve as overall leader of the R&D Design Thinking and Consumer Experience Team bringing together design thinking and consumer insights to create transformational innovation and embed new capabilities that deliver winning experiences.
- Drive consumer centric thinking, emotional understanding, category knowledge and intuition, research solutions throughout the entire R&D development process.
- Have a solid understanding of consumer products and usage, test methodologies as well as the strategic fit within the overall business and identify the impact when designing & recommending innovative solutions.
- Act as a strategic partner, working cross functionally across the company to help develop products, ideas, solutions grounded in consumer and business needs, within resource allocation/timelines.
- Influence and set direction for a human centric approach that places design and the consumer at the center of all R&D initiatives.
Role Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Lead the transformation of design and consumer experience of R&D by driving mindset and behavior changes needed to deliver on the R&D Strategy. This includes being an advocate and catalyzing design and a consumer centric culture via translation and integration of design imperatives and consumer information – trends, attribute drivers, quality – to guide development and enable winning consumer experiences.
- Encourage the team’s experimentation mindset and digital transformation of methods resulting in bigger insights and innovations.
- Elevate and embed functional capabilities with a robust design, consumer toolbox and associated delivery processes.
- Partner across functions in R&D from early stages to final deployment (e.g. insights mining, iterative feedback, validation)
- Grow the number of advocates for design and consumer experience in R&D through a combination of formal and informal mechanisms.
- Manage the Team to provide research solutions to guide design of product and package development, developing prototypes and uncovering consumer insights as they use our products – particularly in the early stages of development.
- Accountable for ensuring that rigorous and unbiased research is developed executed and reported to clients to help make development decisions.
- Set strategic direction for group, manage budget and resource allocation
- Provide leadership and coaching to team leaders and members
Education and Experience
- BS/MS/PhD in Design and/or Science from an accredited institution (can also include Social Sciences and Market Research);
- 10+ years of experience in design and consumer insights including knowledge of the design process, human centered experimentation, tools, qualitative & quantitative test design and methods used in product evaluation & sensory testing.
- Cross functional (business, technical, project management) experience, is a plus.
Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrated experience collaborating and influencing cross functional teams and leading a team of technical contributors to deliver relevant business results.
- Needs to be able to design, identify consumer insights, understand product (across all categories) usage and importance/impact of design and aesthetics on consumer appeal and winning experience.
- Must be able to consider & articulate the various perspectives (consumer, business).
- Must be able to collaborate & negotiate with internal and external partners.
- An influencer with strong verbal & written communication skills.
- Must be able to lead team on a variety of projects spanning multiple categories simultaneously.
- Strong analytical & project management skills required.
Church & Dwight is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
For more information on our company, our brands and our culture visit us at http://www.churchdwight.com/
With corporate offices and major plants across the country, we’re building consumer products and connecting with global offices from the place where it all began.Explore this location
DIVERSITY At Church & Dwight
Church & Dwight strives to create an environment where everyone feels free to bring their authentic self to work every day.
We win when we respect every employee for who they are – regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other differences. We believe that our employees’ contributions are richer because of their diversity. We aim to be a diverse, inclusive and equitable company and are determined to build a culture where people have the power to win together.
CULTURE At Church & Dwight
We care - about our people, our products, our consumers and our environment. To honor these priorities, we’ve built our culture around the tenants of courage, determination and team spirit. We’re united by our small company feel and inspired by opportunities to make our mark.Learn More
Equal Employment Opportunity for the Disabled At Church & Dwight
As an equal opportunity employer, Church & Dwight is committed to providing access and opportunities to individuals with disabilities. Applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact 877-809-8449 or email their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that these options are available only to those needing an accommodation because of a medical condition or disability. All email submissions should include “Accommodation needed” in the subject line as well as information related to the specific position you are interested in (requisition number, job title, location, etc.). Church & Dwight will not respond to inquiries made to email@example.com or 877-809-8449 that are not related to accessibility of the online application system by persons with medical conditions or disabilities. To review Church & Dwight’s Equal Opportunities Employer Policy, click link below.Learn More