Science Technician in Manufacturing Apprentice
A collective energy and ambition. A place where you can make a real difference.
We’re a company that genuinely cares about our people, our products, our consumers and the environment.
Our unique, informal culture champions courage, determination and collaboration. Knowing we have an open and supportive team means each of us has the freedom to take responsibility and ownership. We have a shared passion to work hard, innovate and push boundaries.
United by the belief that when we strive for growth, anything is possible. While we might not be the largest company in our industry, we believe we can have the biggest impact because: Together We Have the Power to Win.
Science Technician in Manufacturing Placement (24 months)
Are you looking for an Apprenticeship in the UK? Are you enthusiastic, numerate, IT proficient and a team player? If your answer is 'YES' we may have just the opportunity for you!
We have an exciting opportunity for a paid Apprenticeship within our Research & Development Team, where you will be able to gain valuable work experience and a Science Technician in Manufacturing with an HNC in Applied Science qualification in a global FMCG company.
We are seeking an apprentice to join our Research & Development department, based in Folkestone, Kent on a 24-month contract starting in Summer/Autumn 2021.
As the Science Technician in Manufacturing Apprentice, you will work on a diverse range of tasks which will further your knowledge and skills as well as adding value to our business. During the apprenticeship you will receive a tailored induction as well as regular feedback and reviews with your supervisor and tutor.
As part of our Research & Development Team, you will be working on tasks such as:
- Developing personal care product formulations by making it in lab/pilot facilities.
- Generating ideas to improve manufacturing methods based on chemical engineering principles.
- Developing existing and new lab & pilot manufacturing facilities and assisting on pilot manufacture when required.
- Carry out product stability of new/existing product developments of variety of formats e.g. aerosols, liquids, lotions, tubes.
- Contributing to developing automation software for manufacturing processes.
- Exposure to project meetings and discussions with marketing, project managers, production, supply chain etc.
- Using basic analytical measurement equipment like viscometer, pH meter, microscope etc.
- Understanding of P&IDs, take part in risk analysis, FMEA studies when required. Science Technician in Manufacturing Qualification
The Science Technician Apprentice will have 20% off-the-job training and full support to learn:
- HNC in Applied Science To work safely in a science manufacturing environment and to follow quality procedures.
- Regulatory requirements of the industry and sector.Technical skills to fulfil their role.
- How to work independently and in a team to operate a manufacturing batch or continuous process in line with SOPs.
- To control and monitor a process plant and equipment.To work safely, understanding health and safety and risk management.
Who we are looking for
We welcome all applications from those looking to get experience in Research and Development while undertaking an industry qualification. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate someone with a higher-level qualification in science or similar for this qualification.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a passion for Science and manufacturing.
- A level in Science Grade C or above5 GCSE’s at Grade C/4 including Maths, Science and English.
- Have basic understanding of unit operations like solid/liquid mixing.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Be able to demonstrate a “can do” attitude and desire to continuously improve. Have the ability to work as part of a team.
- Have an enquiring mind.
- Be competent in MS Office, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. A valid UK driver’s license is desirable (travel required between Folkestone sites)
About Church & Dwight
You may be more familiar with our products than with our company name. Batiste dry shampoo, Pearl Drops Whitening tooth polish, Arm & Hammer baking soda toothpaste, Femfresh Intimate wash, Orajel toothache & ulcer relief, Sterimar natural sea water nasal spray and Nair hair removal products all of which form part of our exciting brands. We are continuing to grow our portfolio each year with new exciting acquisitions our newest including Viviscal, Toppik, Anusol, Waterpik and Flawless.
Church & Dwight UK Ltd are based in Folkestone, Kent, where we develop, produce & distribute many of our products and work with Sofibel in Paris and Church & Dwight GmbH in Frankfurt, Germany to form the European team. We are part of Church & Dwight Co. Inc. based in New Jersey, USA.
In the UK we employ over 370 people who undertake a range of roles from Research & Development & Marketing through to Purchasing, Production and Supply Chain. These teams are supported by departments such as Finance & Human Resources.
How to apply
If you would like to apply for this opportunity and have the right to work in the UK (including a student visa that allows you to undertake an apprenticeship opportunity), please visit our careers website and apply directly for the role.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 9th July 2021
For more information on our company, our brands and our culture visit us at http://www.churchdwight.co.uk/
When applying for a role and sending your cv, you understand that the Company will hold your personal data in relation to your prospective employment and will process that data for legitimate business reasons within the requirements of UK data protection laws currently in effect and as they become applicable, including the Data Protection Act 1998, the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679)) and any successor legislation. Candidate Privacy Notice.
DIVERSITY At Church & Dwight
Church & Dwight strives to create an environment where everyone feels free to bring their authentic self to work every day.
We win when we respect every employee for who they are – regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other differences. We believe that our employees’ contributions are richer because of their diversity. We aim to be a diverse, inclusive and equitable company and are determined to build a culture where people have the power to win together.
CULTURE At Church & Dwight
We care - about our people, our products, our consumers and our environment. To honor these priorities, we’ve built our culture around the tenants of courage, determination and team spirit. We’re united by our small company feel and inspired by opportunities to make our mark.Learn More