Lead Microbiologist - VN
A collective energy and ambition. A place where you can make a real difference.
We’re a company that genuinely cares about our people, our products, our consumers and the environment.
Our unique, informal culture champions courage, determination and collaboration. Knowing we have an open and supportive team means each of us has the freedom to take responsibility and ownership. We have a shared passion to work hard, innovate and push boundaries.
United by the belief that when we strive for growth, anything is possible. While we might not be the largest company in our industry, we believe we can have the biggest impact because: Together We Have the Power to Win.
Under general supervision, this position assists with and performs specialized and routine laboratory examinations and procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Following standard operating procedures (SOP), company policies, safety policies and practices, quality standards, and good manufacturing practices (GMP).
- Determining priorities for micro lab testing and assigning daily tasks to Microbiologists.
- Preparing materials for testing and performing specialized or routine laboratory tests according to prescribed standards to determine chemical and physical characteristics or composition of materials for such purposes as quality control, process control, or product development.
- Performing environmental sampling and testing in specified areas.
- Testing materials (raw, bulk, and finished goods) for presence and content of contaminants or foreign substances.
- Making media and performing quality control on media using positive controls (live organisms).
- Setting up, adjusting, operating and maintaining laboratory equipment and instruments.
- Selecting, modifying, and/or adapting equipment or procedures to specific project requirements.
- Reviewing test results and documentation to ascertain validity and reliability of data and proper functionality of equipment.
- Performing secondary review of microbiological and physical testing results.
- Sterilizing and cleaning laboratory equipment, glassware and work areas, disposing of potentially pathogenic and hazardous materials in the appropriate manner.
- Performing method validations.
- Ensuring Good Laboratory Practices.
- Reading, recording, filing reports and correspondence; entering data; and maintaining sample logs, test results, and suppliers used.
- Preparing charts, graphs and reports as needed.
- Revising Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) as needed.
- Performing and overseeing the calibration of laboratory instruments.
- Distributing, maintaining and ordering laboratory supplies for the laboratory.
- Acting as a mentor and trainer to the Microbiologists and Lab Technicians.
- Maintaining biohazard waste disposal and associated documentation.
- Scheduling work flow.
- Managing the retention and disposal of samples.
- Performing Out of Specification investigations.
- Assist Lab Supervisors during audits.
- Performing other related duties as required.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor’s degree or higher level of education in microbiology, biology or related field plus two (2) years’ experience, preferably in the food industry is desirable. Training and education can also provide the required knowledge and capabilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Good knowledge of laboratory terminology, equipment, materials and procedures.
- Knowledge of and the ability to follow microbiology methods.
- Ability to perform standardized tests according to prescribed procedures, calculate and record test results.
- Knowledge of basic spreadsheets and databases.
- Knowledge of general laboratory housekeeping and sterile technique.
- Ability to maintain punctuality and predictable attendance.
- Annual Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP)
- Annual Safety Training
- Battery Acid –MSDS
- Code of Conduct
- Role specific training as indicated in the plant Training Tracker and/or Safety Matrix
- Sexual Harassment Avoidance
- Vitamin D3 in Corn Oil – MSDS
- Work is normally performed in a typical laboratory environment.
- Must possess the ability to work in a standard laboratory setting and to use standard office and lab equipment.
- Must wear appropriate personal protective equipment and clean room attire.
- Moderate physical activity, requires standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day and up to eight (8) hours per shift.
- Must be able to lift and carry items weighing 25 pounds.
- Must be able to perform work onsite and be comfortable in a light industrial environment, including some exposure to non-toxic dust.
Church & Dwight is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
For more information on our company, our brands and our culture visit us at http://www.churchdwight.com/
With corporate offices and major plants across the country, we’re building consumer products and connecting with global offices from the place where it all began.Explore this location
DIVERSITY At Church & Dwight
Church & Dwight strives to create an environment where everyone feels free to bring their authentic self to work every day.
We win when we respect every employee for who they are – regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other differences. We believe that our employees’ contributions are richer because of their diversity. We aim to be a diverse, inclusive and equitable company and are determined to build a culture where people have the power to win together.
CULTURE At Church & Dwight
We care - about our people, our products, our consumers and our environment. To honor these priorities, we’ve built our culture around the tenants of courage, determination and team spirit. We’re united by our small company feel and inspired by opportunities to make our mark.Learn More
Equal Employment Opportunity for the Disabled At Church & Dwight
As an equal opportunity employer, Church & Dwight is committed to providing access and opportunities to individuals with disabilities. Applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact 877-809-8449 or email their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please note that these options are available only to those needing an accommodation because of a medical condition or disability. All email submissions should include “Accommodation needed” in the subject line as well as information related to the specific position you are interested in (requisition number, job title, location, etc.). Church & Dwight will not respond to inquiries made to firstname.lastname@example.org or 877-809-8449 that are not related to accessibility of the online application system by persons with medical conditions or disabilities. To review Church & Dwight’s Equal Opportunities Employer Policy, click link below.Learn More