Sr. Research Scientist, Open Innovation
A collective energy and ambition. A place where you can make a real difference.
We’re a company that genuinely cares about our people, our products, our consumers and the environment.
Our unique, informal culture champions courage, determination and collaboration. Knowing we have an open and supportive team means each of us has the freedom to take responsibility and ownership. We have a shared passion to work hard, innovate and push boundaries.
United by the belief that when we strive for growth, anything is possible. While we might not be the largest company in our industry, we believe we can have the biggest impact because: Together We Have the Power to Win.
Job Title: Sr Research Scientist
Department: Technology & Consumer Experience
Reports To: Research Fellow/Director.
This Technology Scout role will find, evaluate and broker internally new technologies and/or capabilities of interest to Church & Dwight. The role will work collaboratively with internal R&D stakeholders to know their innovation needs and network externally to be aware of available technologies and/or capabilities of potential interest. This individual will be a scientific generalist with good business acumen, a strong collaborator and networker, be comfortable with ambiguity, highly inquisitive and eager to identify new innovations of high value for the company.
Role Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Build strong relationships with internal stakeholders and proactively seek to understand their innovation needs and translate these into scouting opportunities
- Scout for technologies and/or capabilities that align with stakeholder innovation needs and provide initial technical and commercial due diligence including viability of the potential partner.
- Influence internal stakeholders and successfully broker recommended technologies and/or capabilities so they progress forward into the R&D innovation pipeline
- Proactively monitor commercial, scientific and intellectual property information sources to remain aware of technologies and/or capabilities which may be of relevance
- Build and manage a broad outreach program into innovation ecosystems to be successful when scouting for new technologies and/or capabilities of interest
- Lead scouting and partnering interactions at key forums/conferences
- Assist with management of the Open Innovation Portal
Education and Experience
- BSc/MSc from an accredited institution in Chem./Chem. Engineering with at least 7 years related industrial experience or PhD from an accredited university with at least 3 years’ experience
- At least 3 years demonstrated experience as an Open Innovation Technology Scout finding and brokering innovations to internal stakeholders within a CPG industry environment
Skills and Competencies
- Highly inquisitive with strong scientific background to converse effectively with external innovators and internal stakeholders, solid business acumen to quickly identify high value innovation opportunities
- Strong internal networker to understand stakeholder innovation needs and external networker to build ecosystems, excellent relationship builder to create partner of choice mindset with potential external partners, collaborator with internal cross functional teams to move innovation opportunities forward, and influencer of internal stakeholders without direct authority and potential external partners to drive initiatives to the desired end state
- Visionary thinker to see future possibilities when scouting for new innovations, strategic when planning approaches and long-term initiatives, tactical to achieve short term wins
- Demonstrated abilities to; scout and find new technologies and/or capabilities aligned to internal stakeholder innovation needs, objectively assess to select the best to progress, successfully broker these to internal stakeholders
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, comfortable and capable of communicating with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Self-driven, operates with high degree of urgency
- Strong portfolio and project management skills
- Creates process/structure to navigate ambiguous environments.
Church & Dwight is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
For more information on our company, our brands and our culture visit us at http://www.churchdwight.com/
With corporate offices and major plants across the country, we’re building consumer products and connecting with global offices from the place where it all began.Explore this location
DIVERSITY At Church & Dwight
Church & Dwight strives to create an environment where everyone feels free to bring their authentic self to work every day.
We win when we respect every employee for who they are – regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other differences. We believe that our employees’ contributions are richer because of their diversity. We aim to be a diverse, inclusive and equitable company and are determined to build a culture where people have the power to win together.
CULTURE At Church & Dwight
We care - about our people, our products, our consumers and our environment. To honor these priorities, we’ve built our culture around the tenants of courage, determination and team spirit. We’re united by our small company feel and inspired by opportunities to make our mark.Learn More
Equal Employment Opportunity for the Disabled At Church & Dwight
As an equal opportunity employer, Church & Dwight is committed to providing access and opportunities to individuals with disabilities. Applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact 877-809-8449 or email their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that these options are available only to those needing an accommodation because of a medical condition or disability. All email submissions should include “Accommodation needed” in the subject line as well as information related to the specific position you are interested in (requisition number, job title, location, etc.). Church & Dwight will not respond to inquiries made to email@example.com or 877-809-8449 that are not related to accessibility of the online application system by persons with medical conditions or disabilities. To review Church & Dwight’s Equal Opportunities Employer Policy, click link below.Learn More