Senior Patent Paralegal
A collective energy and ambition. A place where you can make a real difference.
We’re a company that genuinely cares about our people, our products, our consumers and the environment.
Our unique, informal culture champions courage, determination and collaboration. Knowing we have an open and supportive team means each of us has the freedom to take responsibility and ownership. We have a shared passion to work hard, innovate and push boundaries.
United by the belief that when we strive for growth, anything is possible. While we might not be the largest company in our industry, we believe we can have the biggest impact because: Together We Have the Power to Win.
This senior position reports to the Associate General Counsel - Patent Counsel and provides patent paralegal support to Church & Dwight’s R&D function in Princeton, New Jersey and to its WaterPik business in Fort Collins, Colorado.
The person in this role is expected to work closely with Church & Dwight’s legal team to accomplish the overall objectives of the legal department.
This position is located at Church & Dwight’s R&D center in Princeton, NJ. The ability to travel (about 5 days/year) to Colorado is preferred.
Role Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Review incoming correspondence from the USPTO and all foreign patent offices and agents, and timely docket all due dates worldwide. Maintain patent docket and follow up with all patent attorneys/agents in advance to ensure that all deadlines are timely met.
- Assist with preparation of legal documents, including contracts and legal opinions; arrange for legalization of documents and obtain copies of corporate documents; assist with research and preparation of discovery responses for patent litigation.
- Assist with preparation of routine patent correspondence with Company management, R&D and marketing groups. Work with various client groups to obtain product samples and other sales and use information to support prosecution of patent applications and other proceedings.
- Assist in the preparation of domestic patent applications, and file same at the USPTO. Prepare and file PCT international applications. Instruct outside agents and patent attorneys in the filing of foreign patent applications. Correspond with internal/outside patent counsel and foreign agents during prosecution of applications and assist with preparation of prosecution papers such as responses to office actions and information disclosure statements.
- Review and approve (within limits of authorization to do so) patent bills from outside domestic and foreign agents and attorneys up to authorized levels.
- Monitor the USPTO Deposit Account and replenish as needed.
- Prepare correspondence, documentation and recording of patent chain-of-title resulting from assignments, name changes, address changes, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures.
- Assist with conducting internet research and patent screening searches as directed by patent counsel.
- Assist with freedom to operate clearances of products, patent due diligence and other patent-related projects, including packaging and label reviews of products for patent information.
- Assist with administrative tasks related to patent annuities and maintenance.
- Assist with other patent team tasks as needed.
Education and Experience
- At least five years of experience as a patent paralegal in a corporate or law firm environment supporting patent docketing and prosecution functions, including (i) preparing and filing US and PCT patent applications, as well as working with foreign agents to file non US applications, (ii) preparing formal documents such as Declarations and Assignments; (iii) supporting prosecution of worldwide patent applications and payment of annuities, and (iv) docketing all matters in the filing, prosecution and maintenance of patent applications throughout the world.
- Paralegal Certificate and/or Bachelor’s Degree are preferred.
Skills and Competencies
- Updated, deep knowledge of USPTO, PCT and foreign office patent filing requirements, formalities requirements and examination procedures.
- Deep familiarity with patent docketing and annuity systems, patent and trademark search programs and internet-based research; deep experience with FoundationIP preferred but not required.
- Self-starter committed to identifying and solving problems and meeting deadlines without reminders; demonstrates “can do” and “how can I help?” attitudes.
- Strong focus on process improvement and efficiency.
- Strong organizational, problem solving and written and verbal communication skills, as well as possessing a client service mindset.
- Ability and willingness to work in a dynamic environment where priorities and tasks can change and new skills may need to be learned.
- Proactive; will consider available options and decide optimum solutions to varied and unique problems.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and USPTO and PCT systems.
Church & Dwight is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
For more information on our company, our brands and our culture visit us at http://www.churchdwight.com/
With corporate offices and major plants across the country, we’re building consumer products and connecting with global offices from the place where it all began.Explore this location
DIVERSITY At Church & Dwight
Church & Dwight strives to create an environment where everyone feels free to bring their authentic self to work every day.
We win when we respect every employee for who they are – regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other differences. We believe that our employees’ contributions are richer because of their diversity. We aim to be a diverse, inclusive and equitable company and are determined to build a culture where people have the power to win together.
CULTURE At Church & Dwight
We care - about our people, our products, our consumers and our environment. To honor these priorities, we’ve built our culture around the tenants of courage, determination and team spirit. We’re united by our small company feel and inspired by opportunities to make our mark.Learn More
Equal Employment Opportunity for the Disabled At Church & Dwight
As an equal opportunity employer, Church & Dwight is committed to providing access and opportunities to individuals with disabilities. Applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact 877-809-8449 or email their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please note that these options are available only to those needing an accommodation because of a medical condition or disability. All email submissions should include “Accommodation needed” in the subject line as well as information related to the specific position you are interested in (requisition number, job title, location, etc.). Church & Dwight will not respond to inquiries made to firstname.lastname@example.org or 877-809-8449 that are not related to accessibility of the online application system by persons with medical conditions or disabilities. To review Church & Dwight’s Equal Opportunities Employer Policy, click link below.Learn More