Director Of Sales Operations at Water Pik, Inc.
A collective energy and ambition. A place where you can make a real difference.
We’re a company that genuinely cares about our people, our products, our consumers and the environment.
Our unique, informal culture champions courage, determination and collaboration. Knowing we have an open and supportive team means each of us has the freedom to take responsibility and ownership. We have a shared passion to work hard, innovate and push boundaries.
United by the belief that when we strive for growth, anything is possible. While we might not be the largest company in our industry, we believe we can have the biggest impact because: Together We Have the Power to Win.
The Director is accountable for leading and managing a team dedicated to Sales Planning & Execution, Business Intelligence, Trade Marketing, Demand Planning and Customer Service for Global Waterpik operations. This leader will utilize leading edge data, information systems, and metrics around financial, brand, and shopper insights to help Waterpik maximize market share, sales, and profitability. Additionally, this leader will manage all aspects of the Customer experience from consumer contacts, order management and Dental professional engagement both at Waterpik and with our external partners. This leader will attract, retain, and develop top talent and will foster an environment that generates breakthrough ideas and leads a collaborative and open team that lives the values of Waterpik.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
SALES PLANNING AND EXECUTION: (30%)
- Assists sales and marketing leaders with developing annual customer/channel/region strategic plans and corresponding annual operating plans to grow our business.
- Collaborates with the sales and marketing teams to then develop the tactics and tools that will assist our customers in effectively and creatively winning with consumer and shoppers through innovation, promotions, packaging and merchandising.
- Coordinate administration of pricing programs for management within the Oracle system
- Leads the coordination of line review activities, ensuring internal alignment and line review presentations that are consistent with strategies and plans and provide coordination across customers/channels
- Working with Marketing, coordinate prototype and sample needs and all presentation components & optimal timing
- Consult on key marketing programs for their effectiveness and efficiency against retail channel strategies as well as sales programs – Retail and Professional. Strong understanding of retailer policies and buyer performance measurements.
- Evaluates and make recommendations for go-to-market approaches in existing and new markets, across channels and regions, balancing risk and return.
- Once established, coordinate the creation of a Go-To- Market Launch Kit including presentation and distribution targets for all retail Business units that will serve as the basis for all customer presentations.
- Provide tactical and logistic support to set planograms and merchandising initiatives with our customers.
- Act as a liaison to manage account programs internally supporting the Sales Team with coordination of activities and correspondence
- Ensures that we have very good customer, market, and competitor understanding and works with the sales and marketing teams to provide input to the creation of innovative win-win customer and channel strategies.
- Proactively identifies growth and new business opportunities by category and communicates action plan to address opportunities.
- Recommends a 1-3 year calendar of strategic initiatives, prioritizing across channels / regions and brands. Sets and measures success metrics.
- Manage legal department needs including COI database and renewals.
- Manage the daily work of internal account analysts to maximize account knowledge and productivity.
- Insure ongoing training of account systems is maintained
- Collaborate on best practices and analysis techniques
- Work with associated Sales Director to insure dedicated time is utilized and business is managed to expectations
- Develop and execute training for new Sales Directors and Global management encompassing all areas of the corporate office.
- Plans and Manages departmental budgets for Sales Operations and Customer Service
- Supports Senior Vice President of Sales with approvals/participation in NPD milestone reviews and signature toll gates
BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE: (20%)
- Responsible for sourcing and negotiating global intelligence research resources as well as gathering, integrating and interpreting the data (IRI, Nilsen, Internal POS, Markettrack, Kantar, Cleveland Research, etc.) that uncover opportunity gaps and solutions to enhance business performance.
- Leads a team in utilizing best-in-class insights to develop customer strategies as they relate to consumer purchase behavior and to maximize in-store and online opportunities
- Host monthly meetings to review and summarize key findings from the monthly IRI and POS data and create/distribute Excel and PowerPoint summary slides to the sales & marketing teams.
- Utilize understanding of consumer insights and market data trends in order to identify key issues and opportunities for profitable brand/category growth
- Continually seeks out new sources of global sales intelligence that mirrors our changing retail landscape
- Creates early warning indicators to synthesize POS data, shipment and budget data to ensure that the sales team understands the opportunities and risks from a customer and category prospective.
- Collaborates with Sales and Marketing to provide and explain market data to our customers and participate in key account calls as the Category Consultant, assisting the team in making volume, share and revenue goals.
- Monitors the competitors’ brands and products in relation to Waterpik’s positioning and market share to understand shopper trends and opportunities. Communicates key trends and insights to sales, marketing and executive leaders.
- Strategize with all internal functions to insure world-class online presence across all retailers and our corporate site with consistent messaging and optimized sku development in all instances
- Consults and provides customer perspective with cross functional partner (Sales Managers, Marketing Managers, Operations, etc.) as appropriate.
TRADE/CHANNEL MARKETING: (30%)
- Define “Optimal Assortment” for key customers and channels
- Coaches team to conduct a channel / customer segmentation using primary and secondary research/data. Recommends a segmentation scheme, priorities, and segmentation strategies for approval by Sales and Marketing leadership.
- Helps team identify the variables and data to perform the segmentation
- Helps team choose segment priorities and develop strategies against each segment
- Recommends improvements from prior year based on analysis and marketplace trends
- Recommends business priorities based on synthesis of the team analysis
- Leads the annual trade/channel management planning process, working with sales and marketing teams.
- Coaches the team to develop channel / region objectives and strategies, consistent with Sales
- Leverages business, brand, and customer growth levers and priorities during the planning process to find common ground.
- Helps establish sales targets by channel and customer, collaborating with Sales.
- Develops an annual plan (Assortment and Promotional) and calendar of activities (12-18 months) that is balanced within and across channels / regions.
- Coaches team on individual plans and synthesizes with the team to set priorities.
- Sets success metrics for the plan that encompass financial, non-financial, and customer metrics.
- Lays the foundational thinking for upcoming line reviews across customers and brands, including planogram and merchandising options across channel.
- Ensures plans meet financial requirements.
- Provides Pricing and Trade Fund Guidance to set pricing guardrails across channels/customers/ and new product introductions
- Reviews business case for price exceptions and promotional pricing, overseeing market pricing coordination.
- Leads team to track and analyze in-market pricing for Waterpik and competitive brands across customers within a channel or region. Makes pricing recommendations to the Marketing team in order to minimize channel conflict and maximize sales and profitability.
- Assists team to track list to net spend including trade funds / customer program spending available for programming or pricing actions.
- Coaches team to recommend trade fund re-allocation to ensure strategic alignment across customers.
- Analyzes the effectiveness of trade spend within and across channels. Coaches team in recommending program enhancements to promote brand growth.
- Leads the annual trade fund budget planning process.
- Works collaboratively with R&D and Marketing in the Innovation process
- Help identify a robust pipeline of new products by representing region/ customer / shopper needs.
- Participates in packaging development to ensure that packaging fulfills customer requirements; minimum revenue requirements; retailer or dealer shelf or legal restrictions
- Collaborate on realistic forecasts to support innovation from Basis of Interest through the product launch milestones
- Coordinates new product launches to include presentation, product, placement and channel approach
- Recommends innovative merchandising solutions to win at point of sale to Marketing and Sales leadership. Coaches team to identify potential solutions.
- Ensures new innovation and merchandising solutions comply with customer merchandising strategy and requirements, and ensure team also complies with these requirements.
- Manages Special Programs including Canadian Stewardship, Call to Recycle, WERCS registration
- Prepares for Quarterly Business Review meetings, coordinating with the Sales team.
- Attends strategic customer line reviews and represents the brand and operational functions as appropriate
- Recommends base and stretch financial goals for the upcoming year for channels / regions in line with Waterpik budget process.
- Coaches the team to analyze product mix at the channel, region and customer levels and make recommendations to improve profitability
- Identifies and manages the business risks / opportunities.
- Reviews financial analysis on promotional activity, line review strategies, merchandising, pricing decisions, co-marketing activities, etc.
DEMAND PLANNING: (10%)
- Leads the Demand Planning & Forecasting process for Waterpik.
- Coaches the Sales Team on best practices for a unit forecast rolling up to a dollar forecast that represents a key component of the annual corporate strategic and operational plan.
- Integrate processes to measure forecast accuracy and set annual expectations for achievement across all business units.
- Engages in S&OP process to deliver input, working collaboratively with cross-functional partners to
- Improve forecast accuracy.
- Reduce finished goods inventory and E&O, and rationalize unproductive SKU’s.
- Recommend approaches to profitably manage exits and changeovers.
- Make allocation decisions.
CUSTOMER SERVICE: (10%)
The Customer Service department encompasses 5 unique functions under one roof:
o Consumer Services
- Warranty and how to use, where to buy calls, emails and chat
- Social Media and Review Management
- New Product Development – instruction book creation, packaging input, product trial and post
- Launch product review for quality assurance
- Consultants with engineering on product functions, common issues and solutions
o Professional Services
- Manages orders and requests from Dental Professionals, Dental Dealers and Sales Reps
- Advisors on product portfolio > 2000 skus
- Manage Trade Show order process
- Manage Professional Mailings, correspondence and link to Clinical Directors
o Trade Services
- Link between Retail Sales Team and internal cross-functional departments for managing retail orders, pricing holds, Customer and Item Master Price Lists in order to process orders and coordinate delivery with the Logistics Team.
- Ongoing communication with Sales Leaders to aid them in understanding delivery timelines
o Lunch & Learn Coordinators
o Consult with Professional Educators and manage order input and backend tracking information
o Manage display orders and Patient Education material orders/delivery
o DRTV Reps
o Field inbound DRTV calls and order management
o Corporate education and training allows this team to increase AOV and conversion rates for this program
- Leads the Global Waterpik Customer Service functions to provide a world-class customer experience against Consumer inquiries, warranty opportunities, Trade Order Processing and Dental Professional/Dealer interaction
- Conforming to best practices, build and refine a question/answer database for use in addressing issues and calls
- Insure ongoing coaching practices are utilized to measure performance and improvement
- Coach to maximize first and only response satisfaction
- Research and become a first line authority on Global Warranty regulations and requirements.
- Proactively seek global Customer Service solutions against warranty, issue and all consumer inquiries providing best of class representation and consistency; collaborate with cross-functional departments to execute operationally
- Establish and achieve best-of-class KPI’s against known Call Center metrics.
- Coach department leaders to excel in performance and to hire/train support positions to meet all areas of this department.
- Work with outside suppliers (DRTV, Fosdick and Warranty Customer Service) to insure that every Waterpik representation is of the highest quality.
- Collaborate with cross-functional departments to share quality findings and seek product improvements
- Coordinate review activity whether Bazaarvoice or from retailer sites
- Coordinate replies and responses to low rating reviewers to insure that their issues are addressed and where possible save the sale
- Participate in ongoing training to understand best practices and recommendations
- Provide on–going support to Customer Service Management to insure quality in technology and reporting to maximize our support team
- Challenge and support all areas of the Customer Service team to insure that both internal and external customers are treated with respect, dignity and to the highest of ethical standards.
ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND TALENT MANAGEMENT:
- Manage, coach and direct Sales Operations Team.
- Completes annual objectives and development plans for self and direct reports, to include quarterly reviews.
- Direct reports include Forecast/Demand Manager, Trade Marketing Manager, Business Analyst, Category/Insights Manager and Customer Service Leaders
- Provides all members of the team with direct feedback on strengths and opportunities as appropriate throughout the year.
- Takes responsibility for and identifies opportunities for personal and team development.
- Hires top talent when needed.
- Implement organizational changes as needed.
VALUES AND BEHAVIORS:
- Embraces a culture in which learning is widely shared across functions, business units, groups, and regions.
- Fosters an environment that generates breakthrough thinking and ideas, while maintaining a strong consumer, shopper, and customer focus.
- Empowers the team to make solid decisions toward winning with our unique consumers and customers.
OPERATING SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
Training & Education Requirements:
- University or four-year college degree; MBA preferred
- 10-15+ years combined business intelligence, sales planning, channel marketing, customer service and/or sales experience.
- Positive and collaborative attitude that can inspire cross-functional partners and solve multiple business issues and opportunities independently and quickly.
- Has worked on a business that has global distribution.
- Demonstrates an understanding of differences between countries and cultures.
- Developed channel strategies across multiple channels and translating strategies into channel plans.
- Worked with shopper insights research and used results to improve business initiatives and developed innovative programs at the point of sale.
- Coordinated across multiple channels / customers and brands.
- Collaborated with senior leaders and other functions
- Proven ability to manage and develop a team.
- 5-8 years’ experience as a national account manager with consumer retail account required.
- Excellent written and verbal communications and presentation skills are required.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiating and motivational skills are required.
- A high degree of analytical, sales skills and computer literacy are required.
- Reports directly into the Senior Vice President, Global Sales.
- Supervises the Sales Operations and Customer Service Teams.
Church & Dwight is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
For more information on our company, our brands and our culture visit us at http://www.churchdwight.com/
With corporate offices and major plants across the country, we’re building consumer products and connecting with global offices from the place where it all began.Explore this location
DIVERSITY At Church & Dwight
Our differences make us stronger. We believe that drawing on unique perspectives and experiences will help us improve as a business and better serve our range of consumers around the world.
We’re committed to equal opportunity in employment, development and advancement. We respect the individual talents of each employee, and we foster open, welcoming work environments in our offices around the world.
CULTURE At Church & Dwight
We care - about our people, our products, our consumers and our environment. To honor these priorities, we’ve built our culture around the tenants of courage, determination and team spirit. We’re united by our small company feel and inspired by opportunities to make our mark.Learn More