Senior Cost Accountant
A collective energy and ambition. A place where you can make a real difference.
We’re a company that genuinely cares about our people, our products, our consumers and the environment.
Our unique, informal culture champions courage, determination and collaboration. Knowing we have an open and supportive team means each of us has the freedom to take responsibility and ownership. We have a shared passion to work hard, innovate and push boundaries.
United by the belief that when we strive for growth, anything is possible. While we might not be the largest company in our industry, we believe we can have the biggest impact because: Together We Have the Power to Win.
Job Title: Senior Cost Accountant
Report to: Operations Controller
Under the supervision of the Operations Controller, the Sr. Cost Accountant is in charge of the DMC standard cost accuracy, the monthly closing activities, and reporting of the actual results including variance analysis. The Sr. Cost Accountant is also responsible for the monthly inventory reporting and reconciliation. In their regular duties, the Sr. Cost Accountant must collaborate regularly with the operations group in Montreal, with the Mississauga head office and with the US head office.
The employee also contributes to the invoice entry system as required and acts as a back-up to the AP senior clerk.
- Month-end closing
- Coordinates month-end closing with various department managers to ensure proper cut-off and reporting of inventory movements in a timely fashion.
- Executes SAP month-end closing steps.
- Creates required journal entries related to current operations.
- Perform monthly variance analysis to explain PPV, material usage, and labor variances compared to the latest Plan or forecast.
- Investigate and provide explanations for monthly actual conversion cost rates compared to the latest budgeted /forecasted rates
- Assist the Operations Controller with presenting and interpreting the monthly results to the Montreal plant leadership team.
- Compile the inter-company data – volumes, costs and profits.
- Analyze the Spoiled Materials expenses per brand.
- Establish the profit within the Canadian inter-company inventory, quarterly.
- Compile, explain, and book the inventory revaluation.
- Monthly production volume and inventories
- Provide detailed analysis on the monthly production volumes; per brand, per product line and per sku.
- Report the monthly inventories per brands with comparisons to previous months and previous year and explain the major variances.
- Review the Montreal inventory obsolescence and short expiry quarterly and book the corresponding journal entries.
- Coordinate the destruction of the obsolete inventory items and follow-up.
- Weekly cost control review
- Review weekly, production costs, to explain the material and labour variances in collaboration with the operations group.
- Perform weekly Overhead cost analysis to track and evaluate costs in order to work with operations on resolving cost overruns
- Weekly CER costs analysis sent to the Engineering manager to ensure adequate tracking of capital projects. Meetings with the manager if necessary to control costs
- Additional Tasks
- Responsible for the costing process at the Montreal plant and Mississauga head office.
- Set the new year standard costs according to the Corporate Operations Finance schedule
- Assist the Operations Controller in the creation of the Yearly Budget and monthly PPR.
- Resolve issues and implement improvements within processes
- Complete Statistic Canada surveys
- Approve the purchasing requisition for data validation.
- Provide back up support to the accounts payable clerk on invoice entry
- Provide support in various adhoc projects
- Other duties as assigned
- CPA, CMA designation preferred
- 5 years experience in a manufacturing cost accounting environment.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills.
- Experienced with SAP software (GL, costing and inventory) and advanced Excel skills.
- Ability to produce high quality materials within tight timeframes and short notice requests.
- Proven ability to prioritize and effectively manage varying deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team environment.
- Bilingualism, spoken and written.
Church and Dwight Canada is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a barrier-free, inclusive and accessible work environment. Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodation in respect of a legally protected characteristic in accordance with applicable human rights legislation. If you require accommodation on this basis, we will work with you to meet your needs. Please inform our Human Resources department if you require an accommodation in completing this application for employment or for otherwise participating in the application process.
Canada is more than its hulking-mountain, craggy-coast good looks: it also cooks extraordinary meals, rocks cool culture and unfurls wild, moose-spotting road trips.Explore this location
DIVERSITY At Church & Dwight
Church & Dwight strives to create an environment where everyone feels free to bring their authentic self to work every day.
We win when we respect every employee for who they are – regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other differences. We believe that our employees’ contributions are richer because of their diversity. We aim to be a diverse, inclusive and equitable company and are determined to build a culture where people have the power to win together.
CULTURE At Church & Dwight
We care - about our people, our products, our consumers and our environment. To honor these priorities, we’ve built our culture around the tenants of courage, determination and team spirit. We’re united by our small company feel and inspired by opportunities to make our mark.Learn More
Equal Employment Opportunity for the Disabled At Church & Dwight
As an equal opportunity employer, Church & Dwight is committed to providing access and opportunities to individuals with disabilities. Applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact 877-809-8449 or email their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that these options are available only to those needing an accommodation because of a medical condition or disability. All email submissions should include “Accommodation needed” in the subject line as well as information related to the specific position you are interested in (requisition number, job title, location, etc.). Church & Dwight will not respond to inquiries made to email@example.com or 877-809-8449 that are not related to accessibility of the online application system by persons with medical conditions or disabilities. To review Church & Dwight’s Equal Opportunities Employer Policy, click link below.Learn More